Upande Limited is a privately owned Kenya registered social enterprise founded to provide Internet, web mapping and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) services to a variety of clients. The firm has since its inception in 2009 provided a range of professional consultancy services to private sector, governments, multilateral and bilateral agencies in Kenya, Africa and beyond. The Upande team consists of a group of experts in GIS, Internet mapping, environmental and social academics, software developers and business practitioners.
Upande has got extensive expertise in the following areas:
- Database development / Geographic Information Systems (GIS) & Remote Sensing;
- Open data exchange platform development;
- Website, dashboard and mobile application development;
- Mobile data collection frameworks;
- SMS and USSD interface development;
- Low cost SMS/GPRS data logger implementation, Internet of Things (IoT), custom dashboards;
- UAV/Drone based orthophoto and DEM production;
- Data visualization/analysis tools; Ground station download of environmental and climate data satellite imagery;
- Training and capacity building in GIS, web development, data literacy, open data, cross cultural communication;
- Water Resources Management system development;
- Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation.
Upande has built a strong reputation in providing innovative consultancy services and products for a global clientele, including World Bank, World Resources Institute, UN-Habitat, UNESCO-IHE, WWF, GIZ, SNV, Ministry of Water of Kenya and African Union. Upande has an extensive record in Water Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) related data collection, data analysis, data dissemination and tool development. This includes smart phone based rural water point mapping, custom web dashboard development, Upande’s own WaSHGIS.com OpenSource GIS framework development, water resources management tool development and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).