Water Sanitation Hygiene Management Information System (WaSHMIS) is a cost effective, scalable, interoperable system aimed at improving service delivery by Water Service Providers (WSPs) in Kenya and beyond by providing a low cost modular tool for monitoring and managing Non Revenue Water (NRW). It is an integrated product that enables water utilities to make smart data driven decisions by providing data through remote water logging, data collection apps, data presentation dashboards, integration with billing systems and GIS unlike traditional forms of gathering data and non integrated modules in the market.
WaSHMIS provides a centralized system consisting of;
- GIS Module - GIS data on WSPs’ infrastructure is accessed, tracked, updated and managed through a browser.
- Dashboard Module - Water flows, pressures, levels, quality at targeted points within the network are monitored remotely through a dashboard with dynamic interactive charts that enable the user to determine daily average, maximum and minimum values of the water parameter that is of interest to them.
- Alert Module - SMS/Email alerts are generated and sent to the technical team when pre-defined flow or pressure thresholds are exceeded or not met.
- Job Card Module - A smartphone based job card system for assigning and reporting tasks among the team.
- WaSHMIS Collect App - A smartphone based data collection App that interfaces with Upande’s cloud WaSHMIS server to the water service provider’s local instance.
Virtual Kenya is a free online interactive platform. It is designed to provide improved access to high quality spatial data and cutting-edge mapping technology to allow more Kenyans to use and interact with spatial data in their educational and professional pursuits.
The Virtual Kenya website offers virtual tours, map information, a job board, etc. The website also features hundreds of interactive downloadable GIS datasets of Kenya. Virtual Kenya Services can also be used in your own application.Read More
In 2014 Upande has gotten extensively involved in using sensors to collect data from the field, either directly or through partners. Data collected ranges from water flow data, such as through WaSH GIS for KEWASCO (Kericho Water and Sanitation Company) to river level and meteorological data for the Mara Basin. We have successfully built up experience using proprietary low cost data loggers that have made Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) accessible for any Water Service Provider. Currently we have gone a step further and have successfully piloted our own low cost wireless loggers for water flow, pressure and level.
In order to better and more flexibly offer solutions to our clients, we have been developing a custom backend that receives any readings from sensors through a flexible Application Programming Interface that we have dubbed Vipimo.co.ke, your measurements now made accessible through the net. Watch this space!Read More
In 2017 the use of drones (or RPAS as they are officially known) in Kenya is to be allowed under strict conditions as posed by the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA). Unregistered drones flown without permission can be confiscated.
Upande has several years of experience in drones and is one of the first parties to be able to offer legal drone services. Our experience includes both fixed wing and rotary drones.
Fixed Wing Applications
- Digital Elevation Modeling (DEM)
- Contour generation
- Orthophoto production
- 3D flyover animations
- Precision farming
- Soil property & moisture analysis
- Crop health analysis
- Yield forecasting
- Biomass estimation
- Growth/coverage monitoring
- Aerial photography
- 360° panoramic photography (example)
- Inspection flights
- Aerial survey
- Fly over video production